There is no official serving size for CBD oil because everyone reacts differently to cannabinoids. In order to determine the right CBD oil dosage, these are some ranges to consider.
- Low — start with a 5-10 milligram dose
- Medium — start with a 10-20 milligram dose
- High or very high — start with a 20-40 milligram dose
Is My Starting Dosage Working?
Once you and your healthcare professional have pinpointed your specific goals and determined your situation, you’ll start with an initial CBD dosage.
- It’s better to start with lower doses and work your way up. Why? Because everyone has a different sensitivity to cannabis compounds. Some people only need a very small amount to notice the beneficial effects, while others may need higher doses.
- Start on the lower end of your recommended dosage range and take that amount consistently for 3-7 days. Keep going back to your initial goals and evaluate whether this starting dose is improving your symptoms.
- It’s working? Great! Stick with this dose, which can be taken 1-3 times daily or according to directions and your healthcare professional.
- Don’t notice any improvements yet? Then check with your healthcare professional to see if you can increase your dose by 5 milligrams and stick with this new amount for another 3-7 days.
Keep this cycle going until you’ve found the right CBD dosage for you.
How long does it take CBD oil to work?
It’s generally recommended that you use CBD oil about one hour before desired benefits. Typically, you’ll notice the positive effects within 30-60 minutes. The benefits of CBD oil for pain will last about 4-6 hours, depending on the dosage. If you have other needs, then you may benefit from taking a dose every six hours or so.